Monday, June 8, 2020

Things in my Grandmothers Sewing Box

This is my maternal grandmother. We called her Nonnie or Nonna. That's why Maxwell and Levi call me Nonnie. 


This is her sewing box.


There are a few things in there that I find interesting. Like these garters.


I don't think I ever wore stocking with a garter belt. Panty hose came along before  I was old enough to wear nylons. I'm sure these were easier to put on though! 

And these hair clips. 


My mom would make pin curls all over her head with these things or sometimes bobby pins. Two of them put over the curl in an X shape.

This pin. 


I don't know the back story of this or which one of her kids gave it to her. 

This automatic needle threader and the instructions that came with it. 


It doesn't work very well though. 

This scissor sharpener.


I haven't tried yet.  I'm not exactly sure how to do it. 

This recipe written in Italian and a note on the back. 



Ang was my Uncle Angelo, my mom's brother. He and my grandmother lived together until she got sick and moved in with us a few years before she died. 

This receipt for grapes.


$82.95 for grapes and that was in 1960! Well, we're Italian and my grandparents loved their home made wine! 

This religious medal with a pin attached.



I don't know why but she used to wear it pinned to her bra strap. Couldn't afford a chain, I guess! 

That's all the stuff that's interesting. There were tons of buttons that I put in a mason jar. A bunch of scraps of paper with thread around them. Pieces of elastic, a bunch of zippers and more stuff clearly saved to be reused somewhere else. 

She lived through the depression so nothing was ever wasted!

Until the next time..



10 comments:

  1. A box full of treasures. Things like that are always fun to look through because you just never know what you'll find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to wear garters, LOL. I remember her putting on her stockings using the straps. Great memories in your grandmother's sewing box!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these kinds of finds.
    My grandma's jewelry box, or a few journals written by my great grand father.
    Those garters went on the leg part of a girdle to wear with hose. Garter belts already had the garters attached. But, many women wore girdles every day, and only slipped on those garters if they were going to get dressed up and wear nylons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I wore garters once, on my wedding day to hold up the thigh stockings, NEVER AGAIN! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure you have there.

    Oh I remember those garters!! Guess I'm dating myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those family treasures. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeanette, thanks so much for visiting me. Can I ask how you found me? I love this post! I think sewing boxes are such a marvelous and mysterious thing for kids. And I was going to ask you about a button box, till I read you are already talking about it! Rarely, my mom would let me go through her tin button box. My, what a wonderful thing that was to do! The things that you found in the sewing box are the same things my mom had!! And yes, I actually wore garters for a short time, I think I am a bit older than you. This brings back such long ago memories that I believe I am getting a bit tearful. I did scroll down and read about your Trader Joe's trip. I have not been there yet, but plan on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What treasures you have here. I remember seeing those types of hairpins when I was in beauty school, but not after that.
    Don't you think your Grandma would be sad to see how wasteful we are today? I think of that often...boy have things changed.
    So funny about the grapes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the treasures you have from your grandmother, buddy. Sentimental, and lovely. I think you're blessed to have these things of hers.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!