Thursday, April 25, 2024

Gearing Up

Our new carpet is set to be installed in 4 days and we have started to empty closets and cleaning stuff off of every piece of furniture to be moved. 

All of our closets were filled with totes, and we have them stacked everywhere we can to get them out of the way. 

These totes contain my holiday decorations and they were stacked in the spare bedroom and closet. 


Right now we have them in the other spare room but on the day of installation we will put them in the small bathroom, including in the bathtub! 

We took part of the treadmill apart as you can see above and at this moment the panel is sitting on the island in the kitchen! 


This is the other master bathroom. 


This is all the totes from that bedroom closet and the other spare room closet. 


There is still so much we have to move but at least we got a good start! 

On the day of installation we have to disassemble both of the beds so the installation company can move them out of the way. 

Thankfully, Chris came to town last night and will be here to help us on Monday. 

*********************************

My job is going really good. It's funny how almost every job I've ever had the patients, or customers or clients were sometimes hard to deal with, but I always liked the people I worked with so it made things a little easier. 

This job is totally the opposite. The people I work with are ok but it's the residents that make the job good for me!  I love them, even the grumpy ones! And I think they love me, too! When I come in the beginning of my shift I have to walk past the dining room and there always is some kind of entertainment about to start. A lot of them wave to me or sometimes call me over to tell me some little bit of news. 

I've learned most of their names now and have learned the best way to deal with residents that have dementia. 

The downside is a few of them have died since I started there in November and I always feel so bad. Plus I miss their family members who we get to know too. 

My absolute favorite resident is a little lady who just turned 99 on Monday! She's a sweetheart and I told her she better live to be 100 so we can have a big party for her! She agreed to try! 

That's all for me for now. I leave you with a selfie of me and Max the Cat although he refused to look into the camera! 




I'll be back after the carpet gets installed!

See you then and thanks for stopping by! 


9 comments:

  1. That’s how it was when I volunteered at the VA home. You just fall in love with the residents! Same with my son who also works there - the management is hard to deal with but it’s the residents, he is there for! It is hard when they pass and you’re right - you miss them and the family who were visiting.
    I do wish people would visit their friends and family more in these homes. They sometimes feel as if they are “ throw aways” . Sad.

    It will be so nice for you when your new carpet is installed, plus everything will be so clean.

    Cute selfie with your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I HATE moving everything for installations but it's so wonderful when it's done and all the stuff is put back and you can breathe easily and sit back and enjoy! I thought I was the bin queen but you have me beat, hahaha! Can't wait to see your new floors! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have more totes than you! But what a job! I think we would have gotten new carpeting long ago if it wasn't for all this heavy moving. I like the pretty pale blue walls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You've been so busy! It's going to be so nice when all is said and done.
    I love that you love all the residents so much. 99! WOW, can you imagine living that long? I wonder what her secret is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting new carpet would be exciting but it also sounds exhausting with all that packing up and moving things.
    Glad to hear you are liking your job. My sister in law worked in nursing home for a while and she said the hardest part was when a resident that you got to know died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s so nice that you enjoy the residents. I’ve gotten to know a few of the reception area workers at my mom’s facility. One of them always tells me that my mother talks to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard when everything has to temporarily find a new place to be....and then you have to put it back when the project is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was Activities Director for a local nursing home here in town back in the mid 70's. I found my husbands G-G Aunt there. She was 101! What a fun lady she was...loved her. She passed several months later but I was SO glad I'd found her.
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. The few weeks one summer that I worked in an assisted living home I also fell in love with the residents. It's so hard not too. I'm glad you're enjoying your job, that really makes a difference. Good luck with all of your projects. It is a lot of work but so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

Gearing Up

Our new carpet is set to be installed in 4 days and we have started to empty closets and cleaning stuff off of every piece of furniture to b...