Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rich Surgery Day

Thanks for all your good wishes for Rich. The surgery went very well.

We arrived at Providence Park Hospital at about 7:00 am. This is the view from the waiting area.

First they had him in the short-stay unit where they proceeded to poke him full of holes! Two IVs with multiple tries on each due to the fact that he was so dehydrated! Poor guy! I left the room while they did it but when I came back he looked pretty pissed off! Can you blame him?

From there he went to pre-op where they put a epidural in his back and drew some blood. Jeez!! We didn't know he would be a human pin cushion!

Finally at about 12:00 they took him into surgery and the kids and I proceeded to the waiting room. They had the most awesome picture that me and Shauna wanted to take home so bad!!

It was all made of little tiles and mirrors. Very cool!!

They had a screen that told you where your family member was in the process. Rich was number 10445 and was in the OR when I snapped this picture. The surgery took about 3 hours. When the doctor came out to talk to us the board still said he was in the OR. So much for updating!!

He was in recovery for about two hours and then they finally put him in his room. When I left last night he was just about to get some Dilauded for the pain! When I got home and called him he sounded pretty mellow! Love those legal drugs!!

I was exhausted when I got home. It's amazing how tired you can get just sitting around!!

Got some errands to run this morning and then back to the hospital I go! It's raining right now and supposed to be 36 degrees today; then plummet to the the teens later in the week. Crazy Michigan weather!!


Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Rich! So glad, though, that the surgery is over! Take care of yourself, too, Jeanettte. ((hugs))

(Google won't let me comment)

from my front porch... said...

We have both been through the surgery thing together! Oy! Glad Rich is doing well, but remember to take some time for you, too! Being a caretaker, for any length of time, is taxing on the body and mind!
Wonderful day to you! xo, misha

Grandma K said...

So glad the surgery went well. Yes, sitting around is tiresome. This is quadrupled in a hospital.

Stay warm!

judemiller1 said...

When I had my hip surgery, I loved the Dilaudad--no pain with that stuff. Hope he comes along just great.

dabrah said...

I hope that Rich has a quick recovery. I'm impressed by the board giving you details of who is where, even though it wasn't up-to-the-minute.

Brenda said...

Such great news that Rich is done with the surgery. Sending hopes and prayers that he heals quickly and without a lot of pain. Take care of yourself too, don't forget!

Dolly said...

So glad to hear everything went well!

Be safe,

Donna said...

Glad to hear that everything went OK. Best wishes for his speedy recovery!