Thursday, October 6, 2022

Scarecrows and Stella

Every October in downtown Plymouth the local businesses create scarecrows that line the park. 


Some of them are pretty clever. 


Like this one from an electrical service company. 

 
Or this Find Waldo one. I didn't look for Waldo in the picture. I did enough of that years ago when it was so popular! 

I thought this one was pretty. 

I liked this one. Remember Cousin It from the Addams Family? 


I thought this one from a local meat company was kind of yuck! 


This one was created by Janisse, my coworker and local artist. 

Now on to the story of Stella. 



This is Stella's Black Dog Tavern. It's a popular restaurant/bar in downtown Plymouth. It's named after the owner's dog, Stella.  Here's what I took from the restaurant website: 

Stella was a service dog and led a remarkable life. She worked tirelessly at the VA Hospital in Ann Arbor and other hospitals. Through her birthday parties we raised tens of thousands of dollars for the Humane Society of Huron ValleyFriends for Animals of Metro Detroit, the Dogtopia FoundationPlymouth District Library, and the Plymouth Chamber of Commerce to name a few. She was well loved by children of all ages and their folks and grandparents. 

She was a big, beautiful Burnese Mountain Dog. We've seen her in the restaurant a couple times when we ate there. Stella passed away on September 1st at 12 years old. 

Here is an article about her in the local Plymouth Rock Magazine. 

Hopefully you can click on the picture to make it big enough to read. 

Janisse painted this picture of Stella and this tribute was part of the scarecrow display in the park. 

So sweet and such a nice dog. 

Until the next time stay safe and well my friends! 


16 comments:

  1. The scarecrows are really clever. The Cousin It one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED seeing these. I think cousin It is my favorite. And the story about Stella, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was enjoying all the 'crows...and then the story of Stella...it broke my heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to an amazing dog.
    I like Janisse's, but my favorite is Cousin It.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun with the scarecrows! I would really enjoy seeing them in person! I have to say Cousin It is unique in his (or her?) own way! Such a sweet dog with Stella. She lived a good life of service to others!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, what a sweet dog. What a great event with the scarecrows!!! My favorite is the cool electric company one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun thing to do!
    Burmese Mountain Dogs are beautiful. Glad Stella got a nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely local custom, and lovely tribute to stella.

    🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to have all those scarecrows. Some of those are pretty clever. I would have to say that the tribute to Stella might be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all. What a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see all the different scarecrows and yes I do remember Cousin It.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, Stella the dog looks like such a wonderful dog and I am glad she was made famous by her owners. I love dogs and Cats so this touched my heart.

    The scare crows are cute, lining up to the park - creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely tribute to a beautiful dog, Jeanette. Thanks for sharing. We have a dog in the neighborhood named Stella so I will always think of this Stella when I see our Stella. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so clever! I love seeing the photo's, buddy. Stella? What a story she made. I've also always liked the name Stella. We had an Aunt Stella and I kind of wish the baby coming would have that name! But, doubtful I'd have that happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwww, Sweet Stella! That made me cry! Precious! We are so privileged if an animal loves us. The scarecrows are wonderful too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!