Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Over The Hump

We had a nice birthday celebration for Shauna on Saturday. We all met for dinner at Chili's and then back to the house for dessert. I made Paula Deen's Strawberry Cream Shortcake and man, it was really good! Everyone loved it! I think this is the first time I have made any of her recipes; but I wanted to make something different and this was surprisingly easy!

We spent the rest of the weekend cleaning the spare room, organising closets, getting rid of a bunch of junk and putting up a cabinet in the bathroom. It's nice to get things done and have that feeling of accomplishment.

It's been a crazy, busy week at work so far and Friday can't get here soon enough for me! My vacation is still three weeks away and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to it!

We had a sad,tragic thing happen in Canton recently. Last Thursday 5 young people were killed on the Amtrak rail a few miles from my house. This is a memorial at the site of the wreck:



This is what's left of the car (Courtesy of the Detroit Free Press)



Apparently the driver went around a SUV that was waiting at the tracks, ignored the flashing lights and sped around the gates, where the train hit the car going 67 miles per hour. The oldest was 21 and the youngest was only 14, and there were two brothers in the car, too. So senseless! I guess there is no way to understand what goes through some peoples heads, you know? Unbelievable!

On a lighter note...two more days till the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all had a nice time celebrating Shauna's birthday! The strawberry delight sounds wonderful.

    That's so tragic and sad about the young people in that accident. I witnessed a train hitting a car once, and it has stayed with me all these years. We had watched a car out of control, ending up on the track; the driver got out and walked away, then he walked back, got in the car and the train hit him. Lord have mercy, it's like you say; we wonder why people do such things.

    WELL!!!! Happy Hump Day, Friday will be here before you know it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you had a wonderful birthday celebration with your loved one.

    The accident was on the news here, it's always the most tragic when it's young lives lost.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!