Thursday, May 5, 2022

Estate Sale Time

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I used to be a big thrifter! When our kids were growing up a lot of their clothes and toys came from garage sales, rummage sales and flea markets. I wasn't cheap but I was practical enough to know that as fast as they outgrew their clothes it didn't make sense to spend a lot of money on them! 

But that was a long time ago and now I rarely go to garage sales or rummage sales.  There is not really anything I need from them anymore. I have plenty of clothes and am trying to get rid of all my tchotchke's (boy, I had to google that word to see how it was spelled!) 

However, I do love estate sales! Not so much for the stuff but to look at the houses! Yesterday I went to my first one of the year at this house. 


This is on a street about a half of a mile from my humble home. This street only has about 8 houses on it and they are all mansions! This is actually the third estate sale I've been to on this street. 

Needless to say I was excited to get a look at the inside of this house. I'll show you some pictures!


This was the small dining area off of the kitchen. I didn't get any pictures of the kitchen because there were too many people in there. 


A lot of the bedrooms and closets were filled with Christmas decorations. The house had 6 bedrooms and looks like each one had it's own bathroom. 


This was one side of the master bedroom. It was huge!

This was a "small" sitting area right outside the formal dining room. I wish I could have gotten more pictures but there was a lot of people there! 

They were having a bag sale, where you could buy as many clothes and shoes you could fit in a small, grocery sized bag for $20. 

And then there was this.


A doll with half of a head! I didn't look to see if there was a price tag on it, I just ran from the room!

I usually like to look at the jewelry but there was very little of that. This is the only thing I bought. 


Brand new in the package for $1. Practical and useful! That is the only kind of thrifty shopping I do anymore. 

I have a busy rest of the week. I am working today through Saturday and I am having Shauna, Brad, kids and Brad's parents over for Mother's Day brunch. 

Until the next time stay safe and well my friends! 

21 comments:

  1. I have never been to an estate sale because it felt weird picking through people's stuff in their own home but maybe just taking the approach of looking at their home and the design might be a better way to look at it. Have a great rest of your week and enjoy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the estate sales are run by companies and if the owners are there they don't make themselves known!

      Delete
  2. How fun! My MIL and I went to one estate sale (in Denver) long ago. Long, long, long ago! It was a house in the same block as Molly Brown's house (yes, the unsinkable from the Titanic).

    We went in a pick up & she bought a victorian sofa & matching settee. The most uncomfortable thing ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, getting inside biggggg houses!!!!! And this one was still nicely furnished. Not all look so lived in. But so much fun.

    🌸🌷🌹🌸

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, love going to estate sales and just looking in the houses. Haven't been to one in years though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had to google that word how to spell it... and I had to google it to see what it meant!! *hahahaha* Yes, I know exactly what you mean about not needing garage sales anymore... ditto here! That estate sale is what I'm trying to avoid my house looking like, for my kids to deal with. *giggle* Oh the little tchotchkes I had too...but with the Great Clean-out we're in the process of, there's less and less of it as the days go by. Happy Mother's Day, beautiful lady! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've not ever been to an estate sale like that. I'd love to go looking around those places. I don't live around many mansions like that here in Shasta County. When I was living in the bay area, I did a lot of thrifting and garage sales and dumpster diving until they outlawed it. The students at Stanford University were usually rich kids and when they would leave for summer, they'd dump perfectly good furniture and even tv's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I'm so glad you got pictures. I have been wanting to go to one for years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever been to one estate sale. It was at a really old house and it was just packed with so much stuff. I enjoyed browsing.
    I think I would have gone to this one just to get a look at the inside of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a beautiful house.
    I prefer garage sales to estate sales. There is just something sad about estate sales.
    I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The home is beautiful on the outside, but that is some dated decor inside. I have never been to an estate sale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's the place to go to an estate sale. What a gorgeous house! Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love estate sales just to look at the houses! And my, what a house that was that you went to! I would have had so much fun exploring it! Was it hard to get the pictures? I was at one estate sale with this huge house and was trying to get pictures without looking like I was getting pictures in case I wasn't supposed to (there were no signs posted). My MIL had a lot of jewelry, both "real" stuff and a lot of costume jewelry. When she passed, someone came to one of the garage sales we had and said she was interested in looking at/buying any jewelry we had. I hadn't put the jewelry out for that particular sale since I hadn't gone through it, but did set up an appointment for her to come by to look at it. She took it all at a very nice price. We had separated the "good/real" stuff and kept that. Anyway, maybe this estate sale you went to did something similar. Or, maybe they are like me and don't wear jewelry :)

    Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your time with family!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to get pictures. There were a lot of people and I had to wait for the area to empty out before I took any. There was a lot of other areas I wanted to take pictures of but just didn't get the chance!

      Delete
  13. Funny about us both talking about tchotchkes this week.

    Wow, that house has a LOT Of stuff in it. Its weird to think that someone lived a long life, collecting lots of stuff and then no one really wanted that stuff. We all have too much stuff, right?
    I too would have run from the broken headed doll. WTH?

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOLOL...you crack me up! Ran from the room... Lololol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never gone to an estate sale because, like you, I'm not looking to buy anything. But wow, what a house! I might need to check some out now :)
    That doll, though... eek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fascinating! The doll is so creepy. Can't wait to hear about your Mother's Day celebrations! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good estate sale. Hope you enjoy the sun shade. That's something we can all use on those hot sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That doll is a bit creepy! I used to go to estate sales sometimes but I'm not much of a shopper anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!