Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Notes From My Mother-In-Law

Coming up this November it will be two years since my mother in law passed away.




On the day of her funeral my sister-in-law  handed me a envelope with a couple of notes in that my MIL had written to me and to Rich many years ago and wanted us to have them after she was gone.



In one she admitted that she was upset when we got married. That kind of surprised me because she never let on in the least little bit. After having a chance to think about it, though, I could hardly blame her. We were way too young to get married at 21 and 20 years old.  Housekeeping was not my thing back then and it probably showed!


By the time we were married for 5 years we already had Chris and Shauna. We were a go-with-the-flow type of family that didn't worry too much about keeping any kind of schedule. Sometimes we went to the grocery store at 9:00 or later in the evening...taking our babies with us. She wasn't real impressed with that!


A couple of them were just little notes that she had jotted down after a holiday or some other time when we got  together and how glad she was to see how much we loved each other and how loving we were with our kids.


In spite of her earlier misgivings about us, she was always loving and gracious to me.

I'm glad she wrote these little notes for us. They are something that I treasure.











9 comments:

  1. it's a good idea to write earlier but it's rather sad too..Anyway, have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are treasure! As most of us don't write "notes" anymore. I love the way you describe your family :)
    If I had children....I would have gone grocery shopping with the tots at 9pm, too! We all learn life lessons along the way. And seeing your marriage flourish was so gratifying to her, I am sure.
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that she left you notes and shared her feeling and love for you guys! As Misha says, they are treasures. You might want to scan them in case they ever might get misplaced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was a rare person. All too often there isn't the change in feelings toward a marriage. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, this made me smile and tear up. Such treasures for sure. I'm glad you have them.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so neat!!! Not just the content of the notes, but to see her hand writing. Wish I had things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful thing really, to Do!
    A special treasure!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What special treasures she left for you. You are so very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, how awesome was that? And now you and Rich will have some additional lasting memories from her. Very special! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!